On Friday, August 25 and Saturday, August 26, the first three shelters opened and housed about 500 evacuees. The Mass Care Task Force is anticipating the arrival of thousands of displaced persons to Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in the coming days.
The American Red Cross North Texas Region is coordinating the shelter response with the City of Dallas while the Salvation Army DFW Metroplex Command will provide hot meals. The North Texas Food Bank will also provide ready-to-eat foods, snacks and fluids.
Volunteer opportunities to assist in shelters and with feeding will be available on VOLY.org (powered by VolunteerNow). Volunteers will check-in at the convention center after responding to opportunities posted at www.VOLY.org/disaster. Background checks will be required to volunteer in the shelter.
Shelters are open in the following locations:
- Walnut Hill Recreation Center (10011 Midway Rd., Dallas, TX 75229)
- Tommie Allen Recreation Center (7071 Bonnie View Rd., Dallas, TX 75241)
- Samuell Grand Recreation Center (6200 E. Grand Ave., 75223)
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center will be open and accepting evacuees on Tuesday, August 29.
How to GIVE Help:
- Financial contributions are needed by all four partner agencies.
- Food, water, blood, medical supplies and other donated goods are not needed at this time. If you wish to donate items, please take them to Trusted World (15660 N. Dallas Pkwy., Dallas, TX 75248).
- Volunteers are needed at this time.
- Visit www.VOLY.org/disaster to volunteer
How to GET Help:
- Shelters have been set up by the American Red Cross North Texas Region.
- Food is being provided by the North Texas Food Bank, and hot meals are being served by the Salvation Army.
- For assistance locating loved ones within the disaster area, visit safeandwell.org.
- For crisis counselling and support, call the Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990.